Monday, August 28, 2006

Houston - We have Underwear

Ok the suitcase finally managed to catch up and I am now suffering an embarrasment of clean underwer and sox, etc. Makes the evening a little more relaxing not having worry about laundry.
First day went pretty well though being confronted with 21 Chinese who do speak English sort of is very tiring. I have to slow down and make sure everything I say is understood and that I haven't used any odd phrasing or words that aren't in their vocabulary. I also have a bad ear for accents and I really have to listen closely to catch what everyone is saying. It is going to be a tough four more days.
We are meeting in a hotel across and down the street and the commute is challenging. Walk signals across the street are seemingly just a suggestion, sort of like "Go ahead if you think you can make it!" No one seems to obey the signals and traffic comes at you from all directions. Everybody thinks they have the right of way. Thousands of bicycles, tricycles, buses, trucks and cars mingle with thousanda and thousandsof pedestrians to create a rivers of traffic that somehow manages to inch along. Mix in construction and hundreds of street vendors and it is a mighty mess.
Time for a little shut eye knowing I won't have to get up in the night and accept my laundry from the bellman in the middle of the night. Sweet Dreams.

No comments: