Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Just for Fun I Guess

I'm just saying...

Tucked inside the White House's $196 billion emergency funding request for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is an item that has some people wondering whether the administration is preparing for military action against Iran.

The item: $88 million to modify B-2 stealth bombers so they can carry a newly developed 30,000-pound bomb called the massive ordnance penetrator, or, in military-speak, the MOP.

The MOP is the the military's largest conventional bomb, a super "bunker-buster" capable of destroying hardened targets deep underground. The one-line explanation for the request said it is in response to "an urgent operational need from theater commanders."

The only possible "Urgent Operational Need" for this ordnance is to attack Iran as far as I can see. If you can see another "Urgent Need" for these bombs I will be happy to listen. I keep telling myself that no one could be stupid enough to open another front in the Middle East against a much more capable opponent and then I remember who is in charge.

No comments: