Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Bats...Lots of Bats

Finished up all the meetings a little early. So my colleague and I have decided to take advantage of our few moments of freedom to have an early dinner and then drive down to where I-35 crosses McNiel and watch the millions of bats emerge at sundown from underneath the freeway bridge. Evidently this is one of the largest concentrations of bats in a surburban area anywhere. There is a bridge in downtown Austin that is famous for it's bats as well but our sources say that there are more bats out here than downton. It is only a couple of miles from the hotel down the access road so why not? You have to do something when you spend so much time on the road to break the routine. I understand the Texas DOT makes a special effort to build these bridges with habitat for bats. I will give a full report later if I can stay awake.

I have been surfing around trying to catch up with the world today and not much good news to be had. More bad news from the Middle east and now Turkey is threatening to invade Northern Iraq to quell the Kurdish terrorists that are raiding in Turkey. Not a good sign.
Bush vetoed the Castle bill (stem cell funding) but he did it hiding in his office...no reporters, no photos. I will keep my fingers crossed that Congress can find the few more votes needed to override. Polls show that the majority of Americans (66%) support increased funding for stem cell research. It is just like Bush go against the will of the people in order to throw a bone to the rabid Christo-fascists that are what is left of his base. This will swing some of the races in November even more to the Dems.

No comments: