Friday, July 14, 2006

Milestone and I Missed It

I've been so busy and traveling the last few weeks that I missed a milestone at Fallenmonk. On June 30th we surpassed 10,000 discrete visits and 20,000 page views. June 23rd also marked the second anniversary of the first post here at Fallenmonk. Since no one visited me back then I will repost it since it is where I get the name for the blog. BTW just so you know...one of the first commenters here was the mighty and fabulous Jane Hamsher of Firedoglake fame and I do cherish my place on her now powerful blogroll.

Thanks to all you regular visitors and especially the commenters. I enjoy hearing from you and will try and reciprocate as best I can.

Now the first post:

"Now I understood for the first time that all these problems are caused by a race asleep and thrashing about in its panicked nightmares. There will be wars and holocausts and genocides as long as God is portrayed and thought of as a tight-minded legislator, a feudal lord, an offended King, a hypersensitive Artisan – even if church managers condescendingly tack onto that ridiculous list the not-very-convincing footnote that He is also loving. As long as people dream that they are insecure and needy in some sort of eternal jeopardy, there will be atrocities. But as the human race grows up spiritually, and as individuals gain a personal experience of the God they have been worshipping in fear, they will recognize that much of their theology and philosophy is built on nightmares. That will be the day of peace. I suddenly found myself unwilling to sit it out in the mountains of Utah. I wanted to play an active role in the process of the world’s awakening. – George Fowler, "Dance of a Fallen Monk"

No comments: