Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Good Gracious...Serious Bats

I was being a little tongue in cheek when I said we were going to see the bats. A lot of times these local "events" are subject to inflation by local pride. Well, it is truly impressive when at sundown these bats decide to fly. Wave after wave emerge from under the over pass and clouds of Mexican Freetail bats waft off across the area. All of them headed southeast at first but you could see them start to break up in the distance and fan out in different directions. I'm impressed. The event only lasts for 10-15 minutes but it is one continuous stream while it is happening. During the day you can drive by this overpass and not see a thing as the bats are hidden up between the girders but come sundown they just erupt. Neat.
Got to get packed and ready for an early flight tomorrow back to Hotlanta. Plane is 805a so that means piling out of the sack about 4am.

P.S. Dining tip. Salt Grass Steak House ( at least the one here just north of Sam Bass road along I35) is an excellent choice if you want a good steak, good service and a reasonable price). I had the small filet(tenderloin) and it was the best steak I have had in a restaurant in many moons. I was impressed by the service as well. My colleague had the New York Strip and he ate everything but the moo and he is almost as big a food snob as me.

No comments: