Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A Day to Remember

Mustang Bobby at BBWW reminds us that today, Novemeber 22, was the day in 1963 that John F. Kennedy was assassinated in Dealey Plaza, Dallas, Texas. Only those of us over 50 can probably remember exactly what we were doing and where we were that day. I, for one, can mark that time so clearly that I get a lump in my throat if I dwell on it too long.
I had just two months before turned 14 and was sitting in my favorite class, biology, when the principal came over the intercom to announce that Kennedy had been shot and was dead in Dallas. This was in Wilmington, North Carolina. It was warm for November and I can remember that the big windows in the old school house room were open. A gorgeous fall day. That announcement changed the atomosphere in the room from pleasant to tortured. I don't remember if I cried but there was a lot of it going around. They must have dismissed school early that day but I don't recall.
The next thing I clearly remember was the days of black and white TV and the funeral.
Sometimes I can point to this moment in time and see that it was a cusp of sorts for many things that would eventually impact my life and who I am today.

It was an important day and worth remembering.

No comments: