Saturday, November 01, 2008

Garlic Day

Today is garlic planting day. It only makes sense now that the vampires are safely away until next year. I was late in ordering my bulbs so the only variety I could get was CHILEAN SILVER which is fine though I did want some of the SISKIYOU PURPLE and INCHELIUM RED for variety but I will do with what I have. CHILEAN SILVER is the type of garlic you mostly see in the grocery stores and has a nice balance of flavor. It is a softneck garlic which takes a little longer to cure but it keeps pretty well. I have one and a half pounds of bulbs so if things go well I should get anywhere from 10 to 15 pounds of garlic in about 6 to 8 months. That should keep me in garlic for the year.

Still haven't had a frost down here yet and we are about two weeks past the average first frost date. I still have cherries tomatoes in containers but they are slowing down with the cool nights and though there are a lot of small green ones I have only had about a dozen ripe ones so far. Looks like the forecast is for another week or 10 days of above average temperature so maybe we'll get some more.

Everyone enjoy their weekend and if you haven't voted for Obama yet then Tuesday is your day. I am managing not to hold my breath but the tension an excitement is building. Just a couple of days to go.

P.S. don't forget to set your clocks back tonight as Daylight Savings Time ends.

No comments: