Saturday, April 01, 2006

Word Verification Sucks

I have been meaning to get this off my chest for some time and now that I am just killing time on a rainy day far away from home it is as good as time as any.

More and more bloggers seem to be using this double damned word verification crap for comments on their blogs and it really sucks. With the plethora of good and interesting stuff to read and comment on the hassle of the word verification is really burdensome. I find myself running out of time to visit and interact with all the people I wish to and sooner or later I find myself subconciously shying away from blogs with this extra hassle engaged. It may be just me but I really don't like it.

I might be willing to go along with it if I could see some purpose in it but so far I do not see any value in it. It won't stop trolls who can just as easily read the magic word as the next guy or gal so what is it supposed to accomplish?

You will note that none of the major blogs like Americablog, Kos, Atrios, Crooks and Liars, Corrente, First Draft, Firedoglake and yours truly (couldn't resist) don't use anything similar. Granted some require some sort of registration but that is not comparable and many don't use anything.

If somebody will explain, in easy to understand terms, what this is supposed to gain the blog then I will reconsider my position but I for one find myself sometimes hesitating to comment because I don't have time to screw with the silly word verification stuff.

So bloggers if you want to discourage the free and open discourse that the blog is supposed to encourage and possibly inhibit people from even visiting your blog on a regular basis then keep the stupid word verification turned on. Enough said.

No comments: