Friday, October 06, 2006

Another Piece of My Heart

As Steve Audio says, yesterday was a sad day in American rock history:
Janis Lyn Joplin (January 19, 1943October 4, 1970) was an American blues-influenced rock singer and occasional songwriter with a highly distinctive voice. Joplin released four albums as the frontwoman for several bands from 1967 to a posthumous release in 1971.

I was lucky enought to see the lady twice, once at the Fillmore in SFO and then again at Winterland in SFO. This was while I was stationed at Mare Island in my Navy days. I believe it was 1967 and the first time Big Brother shared the bill with Quicksilver Messenger Service. The second time was a benefit and Big Brother was joined by Jefferson Airplance, Quicksilver and the Grateful Dead among others. Steve has a great post up about his memories of the time.

No comments: