Sunday, November 19, 2006

Food Sunday

I feel kind of guilty shopping for food and preparing for Thanksgiving after my last post on "Low Food Security" knowing that so many of my fellow citizens aren't as fortunate. If I could help them more than I am I would. It must count for something that we think of them as we sit down next Thursday for the annual feast.
This is my turn to cook though it will only be the two of us and my daughter and son-in-law. Decided to go traditional this year and do the turkey, dressing, mashed potato thing. Did a good part of the shopping yesterday at Whole Foods but today I have to make the final run to Kroger for some stuff. Will make the cornbread for the stuffing/dressing this afternoon so it will have a chance to get good and stale and dry before I have to use it Wednesday. I can do the cranberries today as well since they like to rest for a few days. All the rest will have to wait until Wednesday or Thursday. Pumpkin pies can be done on Wednesday too, and the dough for the rolls can get started as well since it needs 24 hours of rest.
Going to be strictly southern this year with cornbread and sausage stuffing, crookneck squash casserole, southern style creole sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and green beans and of course turkey though only the breast. Pumpkin pie with whipped cream for dessert.
The wine selection is a nice German Riesling.
Off to Kroger now for the next to the last shopping (there is always something last minute).

No comments: